Photo

Cannabis for Crohns, What D.A.R.E. Didn't Teach Me

Pot for Crohns cannabis for crohns weed for crohns marijuana for crohns MMJ for crohns Crohnes cannabis help Crohns healed story

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SkunkyAroma

SkunkyAroma

Skunk Head

• Moderators
  • 1656 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:52 AM

Lisa-Conine-First-Article.jpg

What D.A.R.E. Didn’t Teach Me: How Cannabis Saved My Life

by Lisa Conine

When I was in grade school I was unusually small for my age. I did not grow as rapidly as the other children which led me to be low on the growth chart and eventually fell off completely. Sure, this saved my parents some money on clothes and it was always something I liked about myself so no one was concerned. At a very young age, I already had it engrained in my mind that being “small” or “tiny” was an admirable trait (which is an issue for another time), but throughout my childhood I had no idea I was actually malnourished and had a disease living dormant in my body.

By the time I reached the age of 10 and experienced some traumatic, stressful events, the symptoms started showing their forceful influence on my body. I was suddenly living with intense, sharp, and persistent stomach pains. This moved into irregular bowel movements, and at some points reaching up to two weeks without getting rid of my body’s toxins. I experienced fevers and chills when I was finally able to go to the bathroom, and then the process would repeat- all while having consistent pain.

For months, doctors ran many medical tests to try and determine the cause of these symptoms. Finally, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease at age 10. Crohn’s Disease is defined as a chronic inflammatory condition that attacks the entire digestive tract which causes the body to constantly fight itself. Even though that sounds troubling, I remember being so relieved to just know what it was that I barely cared about having a disease. I was immediately prescribed multiple medications and told by the doctor that I could go back to my normal life, including eating a high-carb diet full of processed junk. At 10 years old, this seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

As I got older, I began to realize that my “treatment” plan was not working the way I had hoped. I did not feel myself getting better and at a young age it was hard to remember to take all of my medications every day, at different times, etc. I was also embarrassed of my disease; no middle school child wants teachers or classmates to know that she has an inflamed bowel. This made treating my disease difficult because I just wanted to be “normal”, so I rejected my body’s messages instead of tuning into them.

Let’s jump ahead to my life at 15 years old when I was experiencing many symptoms that were not strictly related to my digestive health. Since a large portion of our immune system is in the digestive tract, I would catch every virus and sickness that came around and it would last much longer than it was intended to, causing frequent antibiotic prescriptions. Being chronically sick and in pain naturally led to depression and insomnia. As a result of this, sleep medications and anti-depressant pills enter the story.

I was on more medications than I could keep track of, my physical and emotional health was declining rapidly, and my symptoms were still present in my daily life. That was, until I tried Cannabis.

I was told, like most kids who endured the D.A.R.E. program, that marijuana is very bad and even more illegal. All of those ideas went away when I realized the instant relief my stomach experienced once I tried Cannabis. I began self-medicating, and as you can guess, it was not seen as a positive choice. I experienced extreme resistance from my parents which eventually led to being put in an outpatient drug treatment program at the age of 15.

I agreed with everything I was being told about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, except for what they said about Cannabis. I believe drug treatment programs are important and the counseling aspect helped me work through other issues (which ultimately led to my choice in pursuing a career in human service) but at the end of the day it was clear that I was not an addict. The professionals there saw that and my “treatment” consisted of watching Miss Congeniality, eating popcorn, and talking about other difficulties I faced during adolescence.  I even made a friend of unlikely sorts, a gang member selling and using heroin, who was also confused by my presence at the facility.

A couple years later I moved on to college and started weaning myself off of my prescribed medication and was feeling improvements. I soon learned of the Medical Marijuana Program in Michigan and that Crohn’s Disease was a qualifying condition. That day I went home and broke down with tears of joy because I finally received the validation that I was not alone.

The next step was informing my parents of my plan to officially change my course of treatment. They were reluctant at first; it was a process to show them how I have improved. We had many discussions and reviewed the facts together.  What solidified my decision for them was when I spent six weeks studying abroad in Europe and I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms from Cannabis but my Crohn’s symptoms did return.  All of this deepened my gratitude for having parents that are willing to support me in making a controversial choice to improve my health.

I am now 21 years old and do not take any pharmaceutical medications to manage my Crohn’s Disease. My gastroenterologist told me, three years prior to telling anyone I was utilizing Cannabis that my symptoms were in “remission” and to “keep doing what you are doing”. I am now due for my check up this year and can’t wait to tell him why I am doing so well.

I have learned that in our country’s medical system, the best thing you can do for yourself is to be your own doctor. Do whatever you have to do to get in touch with your body and listen to what it is trying to tell you. I have consulted dozens of doctors and no one has given be a more accurate response than my own body.

I am now a college senior involved in many student groups, including activist groups supporting policy change regarding Cannabis. I am completing my academic courses successfully and am able to have a full social and family life. These are things I could not fully participate in for many years because I was always exhausted and in pain. Now I have integrated many holistic methods into my daily life to help heal my body. I have implemented a healthier diet focused on eliminating chemicals, rather than counting calories. I consume hemp seeds, hemp oil, and use cannabis in multiple forms to keep myself feeling symptom free and full of life.

The stories are out there, thousands of patients with dozens of conditions are finding relief from utilizing Cannabis.

In a society where large profits are made around the sick and dying, it is time to take back the control of our personal health care and make sure all options are accessible to all patients.

IMG_4947-150x150.jpg

Lisa is a Senior at Central Michigan University and is passionate about humanitarian issues including, but not limited to, Medical Cannabis, Environmental Justice, Family Life Education, Holistic Health, and Supporting Survivors of Aggression.

#2 SkunkyAroma

SkunkyAroma

Skunk Head

• Moderators
  • 1656 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:54 AM

medical-marijuana-864x576.jpg

What D.A.R.E. Didn’t Teach Me, Part II: Cannabis Facts and History

by Lisa Conine

February 27, 2015

I recently wrote a piece on my patient story detailing my journey to treating Crohn’s Disease with Cannabis I am grateful to those who felt comfortable sharing the article with people they know.  Soon after it was posted people asked me things like, “How did you get your Medical Card?” …“What states allow Medical Marijuana?” …“Were you scared to publish that?” 

I wanted to write a general overview of the experience to spark the discussion of using Medical Cannabis to treat diseases like Crohn’s. I would now like to try and answer some of those questions, fill in some gaps, and possibly create new questions. This is a complex issue but the main point I always share with others is that; everything is connected.

Cannabis benefits, production, consumption, and policy are not isolated issues in our society; they are interwoven and interact with many political and social factors.

When examining this topic I personally like to focus on the people. Policy is vital to understanding the issue but it often makes people, and their attention, shut down. I plan to discuss how I’ve come to understand this issue through personal experiences and how I have witnessed the impact on patients and our society.

First, we should start with the definition of Cannabis. Cannabis sativa comes from a family of plants which includes hemp. Let’s think of Hemp and Cannabis like cousins. Cannabis (Marijuana) is a separate plant that produces flowering on the plant which contains several natural chemical compounds. Two major compounds being, THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol). The flower/bud can be smoked, eaten, or made into oils and extracts. Hemp is a tall plant with long, thick stalks that does not have flowering or psychoactive agents. Hemp is a sustainable industrial crop that can be made into many everyday products. Until recently, it was illegal in our country to cultivate either plant; but purchasing and utilizing Hemp products that are made in other countries is no problem.

It is important to understand that these plants have only been federally prohibited for less than one hundred years. If you look further back in history, these two plants were widely used by many civilizations (including our own) for medicinal and industrial uses up until prohibition.

There were industries like the Cotton, Lumber, and Pharmaceutical Sectors that did not want to see these plants, with many positive functions, get in the way of their profits. So, they lobbied government officials to have them declare that Cannabis and Hemp plants are harmful to the public, and soon “Reefer Madness” was born. This led to about seventy years of propaganda fueled by the Drug War, scaring people into forgetting about all the benefits that Cannabis and Hemp plants provide. 

Prohibition laid the ground work for health care to transform into a system that depends and profits off of people being unhealthy.

I encourage anyone reading this to do your own research, the evidence is out there. No one is trying to hide it anymore.

All of this has frustrated many citizens and there have been hundreds of campaigns over the decades to challenge the law. Little change was seen until the last five to ten years when a huge wave of momentum appeared. Medical Cannabis Programs in states like California, Nevada, and Colorado were put into place and it seemed that hope was on the horizon.  Fifteen years later we have twenty four Medical Cannabis registering states.

This has allowed patients with debilitating conditions the access to safer treatment alternatives and they are improving. Cancer patients are surviving, chronic pain sufferers have an opiate alternative, seizures are bring reduced or eliminated, PTSD patients are given a break from their trauma, and I could keep going.

This is inspiring news and representative of significant victories, but there is still more to be done. In the states that do not offer Medical Cannabis, citizens are left to suffer without knowledge of another option or simply have to stay on prescription medication that can hinder their quality of life, or they can uproot their lives to flee to a state that offers Medical Cannabis. The term “marijuana refugees” is becoming a reality for so many families in this country.

I am fortunate to live in Michigan, which has a Medical Cannabis program, so I am able to treat my Crohn’s Disease without having to leave everything I know. I was able to take my medical records to a certifying doctor, fill out the paper work, receive my prescription, and have places to access medicine all in my own state. This is the painless process that a person who is suffering daily should be able to experience.

The ability to legally choose my course of treatment currently comes with, what some would call, a “catch”. I am pursuing a career in the human service field and am being told that an agency that collects federal funding, even in a medical state, will not hire me. This does not apply to every agency, but to a large number of them. When I hear this I just think of how poorly I functioned in my daily life, and as an employee, when I was on my old cocktail of medications that included daily antibiotics, anti-depressants and heavy sleeping pills, like Ambien.

It simply confuses me that employers and our federal government are willing to accept and honor a doctor’s prescription for any opiate or narcotic, but not a doctor’s prescription for medical marijuana.

I understand that under federal law cannabis is still illegal, but I also understand the state laws, and this situation is putting patients all over the country in an impossible predicament. It is time to not only change the laws to allow more to access this medication, but to also change the negative stigma associated with doing so.

There have been recent comments made by governmental officials displaying progress in the public opinion towards Cannabis. That is wonderful, but we need real action now, not just comments.

If you have not yet seen a child suffering from hundreds of seizures a day, take Cannabis oil and instantly find relief, I urge you to do look up a video or article; there are hundreds to choose from.

This is a bigger issue than “that kid down the street that just wants to get high”.

A stereotype only tells one version of a story.

So here we are, deep in the connections between patient well-being, treatment in the workforce, lifestyle changes, and policy shifts. Which are only a few of the factors involved.

The Cannabis Movement impacts this country’s health care, economy, regulation system, environmental crisis, politics and more. It is important to know the facts on this evolving issue as it takes its place in our society.

Things are changing quickly but it is vital to understand that just because a law is passed, that does not mean the issue is fully resolved. It ripples throughout all facets of our society and we can adjust easier to these changes with open education and ongoing conversations.

Let us decide to face this change and engage in the current state of social evolution, in whatever way you see fit.

IMG_4947-150x150.jpg

Lisa is a Senior at Central Michigan University and is passionate about humanitarian issues including, but not limited to, Medical Cannabis, Environmental Justice, Family Life Education, Holistic Health, and Supporting Survivors of Aggression.

#3 SkunkyAroma

SkunkyAroma

Skunk Head

• Moderators
  • 1656 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

Cannabis for Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

The Science behind Marijuana and Crohn’s Disease

cannabis-crohns.jpg

Researchers in the UK have shown that two compounds found within the cannabis plant – THC and CBD (Cannabidiol) – do interact with gut function.  This proves that, as many sufferers have testified, that medical marijuana does provide an effective treatment for inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis.

Both of these disease are thought to be caused by a mix of environmental and genetic factors – so if you have the genetic susceptibility to the disease and are then subjected to environmental triggers, such as diet, stress, or bacterial imbalance, the chances are you will develop the defective immune response that leads to the unpleasant symptoms.

In very basic terms, people with Crohn’s disease have a defective barrier to their gut, which allows bacteria to leak into the intestinal tissue and set up an inflammatory response. It seems then that the answer to the problems posed by this illness is to restore integrity to the gut barrier.

Researchers found that plant-derived cannabinoids – that is, weed, encouraged tighter bonds between the cells that form that gut barrier, therefore making it less leaky.

While it has been known for a long time that cannabis is a powerful anti-inflammatory, the discovery that it actually reintegrates the intestinal lining is a new one.

What Type of Cannabis Helps Crohn’s Disease?

Patients using medical cannabis for the relief of ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease report that it is very good at relieving painful cramps and also for increasing the appetite.  This last effect is very important; Crohn’s patients are often undernourished because their leaky gut prevents them absorbing nutrients essential for health.

Indica strains of the plant are most beneficial due to their muscle relaxing properties.  Some of the cannabis strains said to help patients with Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis are:

• Auntie Em
  • Blackberry
  • Black Domina (Sensi Seeds)
  • Blueberry
  • Blue Fruit
  • Chemo
  • Cripple Creek (Tom Hill Seeds)
  • Dynamite
  • G13 (appetite stimulation)
  • Mandala No 1
  • Ultimate Indica (Legends)
  • Purple Kush (appetite stimulation)
  • Santa Maria
  • Super Silver Haze (appetite stimulation)

#4 SkunkyAroma

SkunkyAroma

Skunk Head

• Moderators
  • 1656 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:43 PM

Beating Crohn's Disease: A Cannabis Journey
By Fatin Phoenix Ward

In 2007, after 11 months of diarrhea and extreme stomach pain, Fatin Phoenix Ward was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. “I was on steroids and cortisone for several months," she says. "But I had numerous side effects and my colon was still swollen. My stomach and colon were starting to feel like they were decaying on the inside, accompanied with diarrhea as well as erythema nodosum on my legs and elbows [an inflammatory condition characterized by inflammation of the fat cells under the skin, resulting in tender red nodules or lumps that are usually seen on both shins], which lead to extreme pain in my elbow joints and affected both legs. I wasn't able to straighten my arms and grab things, nor was I able to walk for several weeks. I was paralyzed! I was completely dependent on my family’s help. The pharmaceutical drugs I had to take did not really help, but rather made everything worse, as I've suffered from many side effects affecting my skin and my mobility for months. I found myself in the darkest hour of my life. The pain was so strong that I couldn't sleep, stay awake or even think straight, and it seemed that no cure was available.”

Desperate for a real cure, she began to look online and found several studies, which described the use of cannabis as a cure. The results of the research suggested that daily doses (60 mg per day) of the cannabinoid CBD could reduce the symptoms as well as the outbreaks of Crohn's Disease.

She says, “I was unwilling to surrender to the plague of emotional depression and physical defeat. I began channeling my energy into creating a unique raw cannabis based medicine for healing. Within six months, I was completely healed of Crohn's Disease.”

She claims that just three days after taking CBD, her excruciating pain disappeared, and the side effects from the pharmaceutical drugs stopped as well. She has been consuming dietary cannabis now for seven years and has not experienced any outbreaks from Crohn's Disease since.

In August of last year, she had a colonoscopy and to her relief, the doctor told her that her colon wall is completely restored and does not show any traces of Crohn's Disease. Her doctor confirmed that she had not received any Crohn's treatment since she started her cannabis therapy.

“I made the impossible possible and cured an incurable disease with dietary cannabis!” she says.

A teacher from Berlin, Germany, she remembers: “Finding out that Crohn's Disease is considered to be incurable was terrible. All I had in those dark days was my laptop, and that's when I began searching for something else that could cure me. I couldn't accept I was going to be a victim of the pharma industry. Dietary cannabis helped me make the impossible possible, and allows me to live a pain-free life without any side-effects.”

Fatin developed a desire to share her liberating encounter with others. Her book The Medical Marijuana Healing Bible, which describes her miraculous healing journey, will be published in spring 2015. She is now campaigning for changes in the laws worldwide to allow cannabis oil and other forms of cannabis to be legally used medicinally to treat other people.

Latest research published in the journal Pharmacology and by the National Institute of Health has found that cannabis is effective in treating Crohn’s Disease, which is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). IBDs such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s affect over a million people in the United States today. Many IBD victims suffer from extreme pain, diarrhea and poor ability to digest food. Up to half of IBD cases are so severe that they ultimately require surgery to remove the affected bowel segment.

#5 SkunkyAroma

SkunkyAroma

Skunk Head

• Moderators
  • 1656 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

It has been said that Chrons may not actually be a disease but rather a symptom of the epicidemic of Lyme disease.  To learn more please read here:  http://owndoc.com/ly...-of-a-cover-up/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pot for Crohns, cannabis for crohns, weed for crohns, marijuana for crohns, MMJ for crohns, Crohnes cannabis help, Crohns healed story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users